Saturday, September 28, 2013
SIAC's Wild Wild West Has Two Big Battles Today; Other HBCU Action On Tap Today
At the end of today, a lot will be known about the West Division race of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
Two big games are on tap as undefeated Tuskegee heads to undefeated Lane in a battle of 2-1 teams and a surprisingly strong Kentucky State squad hosts fellow undefeated, Stillman.
First, Lane tries to regroup after losing their first game of the season last week to Taylor. The Dragons are led by their high-flying quarterback Chris Rini,who had more than 400 yards passing and rushing last weekend. Perennial power Tuskegee was out-classed last weekend by Winston-Salem State, but still sports big wins over SWAC team Alabama A&M and SIAC rival Albany State. Defense remains the Golden Tigers calling card.
In Frankfort, Ky., today, Kentucky State will see which Thorobred squad is the real team. Is it the one who was shellacked 41-0 by Virginia State in their season opener? Or is it the team that has allowed less than 12 points a game to Central State and Kentucky Wesleyan, while averaging 40 points per game? Linebacker Travon Spencer leads the defense with 22 tackles this season while running back Jacquise Lockett has powered the offense. Stillman was roughed up 35-7 by St. Augustine's last week, bringing them down to earth after blowout wins over Concordia College-Selma and Clark Atlanta. Quarterback Josh Straughan has led a fairly steady Tigers offense while Marcus Matthews' 33 tackles and two sacks anchors a tough defense.
In all the other HBCU football action today:
- Grambling looks for their first win when they host Lamar
- Two big rivals and top SWAC squads tangle as Jackson State is at Southern
- Prairie View goes to Stephen F. Austin
- Alabama State hosts one of the nation's top HBCU teams, Alcorn State
- Winless Texas Southern visits Alabama A&M
- Livingstone is at Lincoln (Pa)
- Winston-Salem State goes to Virginia Union
- Bowie State hosts St. Augustine's
- Fayetteville State locks horns with Elizabeth City State in the 16th Down East Viking Football Classic
- Johnson C. Smith hopes to keep rolling as they head to Virginia State
- Norfolk State goes to Morgan State in a battle of winless squads
- Hampton is in search of their first win at rugged South Carolina State
- Savannah State returns home after taking lumps from Miami to take on Delaware State
- Morehouse tries to continue their momentum after a big win last week as they host Edward Waters
- Central State takes on one of the top Division I-FCS HBCU teams in the nation, Tennessee State, in the Gateway Classic in St. Louis
- Albany State is at Miles as both teams try to right promising seasons
- Fort Valley State, fresh off an overtime win last week, takes on Benedict in the Augusta City Classic
at 4:59 AM