|Photo by SWAC.org|
It's early in the Southwestern Athletic Conference men's basketball season, but already the conference race has become a topsy-turvy one.
First, the team league coaches predicted would win the conference, Texas Southern, is struggling having lost two SWAC games already and struggling to beat two teams in the middle of the pack, Prairie View and Jackson State.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff, a team that was being looked at as a title contender, is 4-13 on the season and 2-3 in the conference.
And finally, league leader Southern was rolling along at 5-0 in the SWAC until they were upended by one of the conference's cellar-dwellers but very offensively talented, Mississippi Valley State last night.
Welcome to the SWAC race.
Here are the current SWAC standings:
Alabama State 4-1
Alcorn State 4-2
Texas Southern 3-2
Alabama A&M 3-2
Prairie View A&M 3-2
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2-3
Jackson State 2-4
Mississippi Valley State 1-4
Grambling State 0-6
Heading into a big weekend, here is the SWAC schedule:
- Alabama A&M tries to tighten the conference race when they visit league-leader Southern Saturday.
- A battle for second takes place in Mississippi Saturday as Alcorn State hosts Alabama State
- Mississippi Valley State tries to follow up their big win over SWAC leader Southern when they visit talented Texas Southern
- Grambling, with only one win all season, looks to pick up their first SWAC win when they visit Jackson State
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff tries to even their record when they visit Texas Southern Monday
- Alcorn State tries to keep their SWAC championship dreams on pace when they host Alabama A&M Monday