South Carolina State shook up this week's ADD'S HBCU SPORTS REPORT FCS Football Top Ten poll by knocking off the one team that has stayed in the top spot all season -- until now.
The Bulldogs' 20-17 win over Bethune-Cookman dropped the Wildcats to the number three slot and moved South Carolina State to No. 2. That puts North Carolina A&T, a team on a huge resurgence after several down years, in the top spot.
The Aggies defeated Florida A&M Saturday as they also took over the top spot in the MEAC race.
"It was a conference game," said head coach Rod Broadway. "It took us to seven wins. I think this is the third year in a row we’ve had seven wins. That means we’re getting a little bit better every year.”
Out of the FCS Top Ten poll for the first time this year is Tennessee State, a squad that has lost four games in a row.
In the Division II poll, Winston-Salem State continues in the top spot, but now are followed by Tuskegee and Virginia State at two and three.
Losses by Morehouse and Stillman dropped them out of the D-2 poll, but Elizabeth City State and Fayetteville State move into the numbers nine and ten spots.
Here are both of the ADDS HBCU SPORTS REPORT FCS/Division II Top Ten Football Polls
1) North Carolina A&T (7-2, 4-1 MEAC)
2) South Carolina State (5-3, 3-1 MEAC)
3) Bethune-Cookman (6-2, 3-1 MEAC)
4) Alcorn State (7-2, 5-1 SWAC)
5) Grambling (5-3, 5-0 SWAC)
6) Southern (5-3, 4-1 SWAC)
7) North Carolina Central (4-4, 3-1 MEAC)
8) Morgan State (4-4. 3-1 MEAC)
9) Alabama State (4-4. 3-3 SWAC)
10) Texas Southern (5-3, 3-3 SWAC)
1) Winston-Salem State (7-1, 5-0 CIAA)
2) Tuskegee (6-2, 5-0 SIAC)
3) Virginia State (6-2, 5-0 CIAA)
4) Virginia Union (6-2, 4-1 CIAA)
5) Albany State (5-2, 5-0 SIAC)
6) Fort Valley State (6-2, 4-1 SIAC)
7) Livingstone (5-3, 2-3 CIAA)
8) Miles (5-3, 4-1 SIAC)
9) Elizabeth City State (4-4, 3-2 CIAA)
10) Fayetteville State (4-4, 4-1 CIAA)