Friday, September 30, 2016

Tarik Cohen's 256 Yards and Three Touchdowns Leads North Carolina A&T Over Hampton 31-9

By ADD SEYMOUR JR.

Tarik Cohen rushed for 256 yards and three touchdowns and broke North Carolina A&T's career touchdown rushing record as the Aggies defeated Hampton 31-9 Thursday before a national ESPNU audience.

His third touchdown of the night - a 94-yarder - set the North Carolina A&T (3-1, 1-0 MEAC) record for longest touchdown run from scrimmage.  Cohen set the school's career yardage rushing record last year.

What's even more astounding is that those three touchdowns and 204 of those yards came in the second half.

"I kind of felt like I wasn't running to my full capability in the first half, Cohen said, according to the North Carolina A&T athletics web site. "I was tipping.  I told my (offensive line) that I was trying to look for the big play too much and was being too patient.  I told them at halftime that I was going to start hitting the first hole I see and run harder."

Besides their inability to stop Cohen, Hampton (1-3, 1-1 MEAC) had trouble scoring when they got into the red zone.  The Pirates got inside the North Carolina A&T 20-yard line five times but only came away with three points.  Quarterback Jaylian Williamson was 32-of-54 for 388 yards and a touchdown, but had two interceptions, including one in the red zone.  Rashawn Proctor caught 12 passes for 188 yards.

North Carolina A&T has another Thursday night appearance next week when they host Norfolk State. Hampton visits Delaware State next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment