|Photo by Progress-Index.com|
Justin Thorpe's fourth touchdown of the day, a 24-yard pass to Gene Holloman in the third overtime, lifted Virginia State to a wild 47-44 victory over Bowie State Saturday.
The Trojans were down 20-10 heading into the fourth quarter, but the Trojans outscored Bowie State 17-7 to send the game into overtime. Thorpe drove the Trojans down the field with 58 seconds left in regulation, passing for 43 yards and running for nine, to set Shawn Hunt for his game-tying field goal with nine seconds remaining.
The teams traded touchdowns in the first two overtimes, but Bowie State could only muster a 40-yard field goal in the third overtime. Thorpe then rushed for a yard, miss one pass to Holloman, but then hit the game winner.
Thorpe finished with 259 yards passing and 182 yards rushing. Jaivo Smallwood caught eight passes for 131 yards and touchdown for Virginia State. Bowie State running back Keith Brown had 175 rushing and a touchdown while quarterback Jared Johnston threw two TD passes. Anthony McDaniel had seven tackles, two sacks and three tackles for losses for the Bulldogs.
Virginia State, a team that is now 6-1 and has won five straight games, visits Lincoln (Pa.) next week, while Bowie State (2-5) lost their fourth straight and hosts Virginia Union next week.
Elizabeth City State Routs Lincoln (Pa) 56-14
Petey Boone and Tyrell Houghton combined for seven touchdowns as Elizabeth City State routed Lincoln (Pa.) 56-14.
Houghton threw two first quarter touchdown passes to give the Vikings an early 14-0 lead. After Lincoln answered, Boone had three touchdown runs of 73, 3 and 15 yards to put Elizabeth City State up 35-7. Houghton added another touchdown pass while Boone had a 39-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter.
Houghton had 284 yards passing while Boone finished with 182 yards rushing. Quarterback Douglas Cook led Lincoln with 136 yards passing and a touchdown.
Elizabeth City State (2-5) is at Chowan next week while Lincoln (1-6) hosts Virginia State for homecoming.
Here are the scores from all the other HBCU football games Saturday:
- Albany State 42, Morehouse 20
- Benedict 24, Clark Atlanta 0
- Tuskegee 35, Stillman 7
- Central State 37, Lane 34
- Miles 40, Kentucky State 17
- Southern 29, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 21
- Prairie View 51, Mississippi Valley State 14
- Alcorn State 20, Texas Southern 13
- Shaw 45, Livingstone 21
- Virginia Union 24, Chowan 14
- Elizabeth City State 56, Lincoln (Pa) 14
- Winston-Salem State 35, St. Augustine's 17
- Fayetteville State 35, Johnson C. Smith 26
- Hampton 27, Norfolk State 17
- Delaware State 12, North Carolina A&T 7
- Morgan State 34, North Carolina Central 22
- Howard 21, Florida A&M 10
- Bethune-Cookman 48, Savannah State 21
- Nebraska-Kearney 24, Lincoln (Mo.) 14
- Tennessee State 29, UT-Martin 15
- Langston 34, Texas College 8
- Millersville, 30, Cheney 12